Friday, April 27, 2012

P3.) New York Teacher Ratings Evaluation Debate

In most cases I don’t find teacher evaluation ratings to be very accurate, but every once in a while I would agree that teachers need to be evaluated to make sure their capable of helping students to learn. I understand why teachers are upset that their jobs are put on line based on how well their students perform on tests. I don’t think it’s fair for some teachers that are great at what they do, but because her students don’t study, test ratings result in her job being in jeopardy. This isn’t for all teachers. Some teachers acquire the knowledge they just are not good at teaching it. In these cases I think that it’s smart to evaluate their test ratings because if they can’t teach students shouldn’t have to suffer because of them. When more than half of your students fail an exam, the most likely reason is because they were not prepared well enough. The teachers that go above and beyond to get there students to learn the material I believe are the ones that deserve to keep their jobs. If you’re not going to work your but off then in my opinion why should you have the job when there are others out there that will work to no end?  Honor students learn easily and of course are going to score high on state tests. So, in my opinion that doesn’t make you a good teacher just because your honor students score high. I think that if you can get students that have struggled for years to pass your class and score high on state tests, than I would consider you to be an amazing teacher. In my opinion everyone is a great teacher in some way, but I still think you should have to prove yourself because it is a competitive job and their a many people out there that will kill for a teaching position.  

No comments:

Post a Comment